Griha Pravesh: housewarming ceremony tips for your new house
Griha Pravesh puja housewarming ceremony tips for your new house
When it comes to property investment, homeowners are generally particular about auspicious days and performing a griha pravesh pooja, before moving in. Griha Pravesh: housewarming ceremony tips for your new house We examine the significance of this housewarming ceremony and the points to consider for griha Pravesh puja.
Before Stepping into a new house is a special occasion for many as it signifies new beginnings in one’s life. Indians are generally particular about Shubh muhurta when it comes to buying a property or shifting to a new house. They believe that performing a grih pravesh, which is basically the housewarming ceremony on an auspicious day, will bring them good fortune. Griha Pravesh is a Hindu ritual where a puja ceremony is conducted on an auspicious muhurta when a person moves into a new house for the first time.
Griha Pravesh: housewarming ceremony tips for your new house
More importantly, before entering the new house, one should check the auspicious date, day, tithi, nakshatra, or constellation, by referring to a Hindu Calendar or consulting astrology or a Hindu priest and Vastu Shastra expert. Decorating the house entrance and chanting mantras are essential parts of the Griha pravesh puja Vidhi.
To know about shubh muhurta to enter in the new house and move into a new house you need to contact the best Hindu priest in the Uk, because a Hindu priest will guide you properly about that auspicious day when you need to move in and do housewarming puja in the new house.
Usually, the auspicious dates for the griha pravesh puja or the housewarming ceremony are decided by the Hindu priest based on the astrological charts. Furthermore, there are many dos and don’ts or guidelines to be followed for the Griha Pravesh puja Vidhi to ensure positive energy around and bring prosperity to the family.
Griha Pravesh puja: What is Griha Pravesh?
A griha pravesh puja ceremony, also known as griha pravesh or the housewarming ceremony, is a Hindu puja ceremony performed when one enters a new home for the first time to purify the environment and protect the house from negative energies.
It is believed that entering a home during an auspicious time, makes life easy and there will be a minimum struggle for the family, after moving into the new house. Days that are most favorable for such muhuratas are Vasant Panchami, Akshaya Tritiya, Gudi Padwa, Ganesh Chaturthi, Navratri, Dussehra (also known as Vijayadashmi), while days like Uttarayana, Holi, Adhikmas and Shraddha Paksha are to be avoided,”
For this ritual, a copper pot is filled with water and nine types of grains and a coin are placed in it. A coconut is placed on the pot and one enters the house with it, accompanied by the chanting of mantras by a Hindu priest. A Hindu priest chants various mantras that are the Kalash puja mantra, the Ganesha mantra, and the Vastu Puja mantra.
Griha Pravesh: housewarming ceremony tips for your new house – What are the three things to bring to a housewarming?
As per the popular saying, three things to bring to a housewarming are salt, wine, and bread. Traditionally, housewarming gifts included a bag of groceries or firewood. These things had ceremonial and symbolic meanings. Bread denotes ‘May this house never know hunger’, Wine denotes ‘May you always have joy and never go thirsty’, and salt denotes ‘May there always be flavor and spice in your life’.
Choose the auspicious date
Always do the griha pravesh on an auspicious day. While the festive season brings many auspicious dates, which are suitable for a Griha Pravesh. Dussehra and Diwali are considered very lucky for the Griha Pravesh and you can conduct a puja after consulting a Hindu priest. Avoid moving into the new house on a Saturday or a Sunday.
The months of Magh, Phalgun, Vaishakh and Jyeshtha are regarded the best time for griha pravesh pooja and entering the house.
Which month is not good for Griha Pravesh?
The months of Shravan, Bhadrapada, Ashwin, and Paush are not ideal for the griha pravesh.
Griha Pravesh: housewarming ceremony tips for your new house – Complete the construction and finishing work
The Griha pravesh pooja should be conducted only after the construction work is over. This is one of the foremost things to remember when moving into a new home and performing the Griha Pravesh ceremony.
Avoid moving into your new home, if the construction work is ongoing. Move to your new home only when the home is completely ready. Griha Pravesh signifies entering a new phase of life, a new home that is completed in every sense. Therefore, make sure everything including the woodwork, fittings, paint, etc., is completed. The house must be ready to move with the installation of all the fixtures, windows, and doors, and the completion of the painting work.
Send housewarming ceremony invitations
Seeks blessings and wishes of family and friends by inviting them to the Griha Pravesh ceremony.
Make sure the home is Vastu-compliant
Ensure your home is completely Vastu-compliant, especially the puja room and the main entrance.
Griha Pravesh puja: Things to do on puja day
Decorate the house entrance
- The main door should be decorated, as it is called Simha Dwara and is the face of the Vastu Purush. On the day of Griha Pravesh pooja, make sure you decorate the front entrance with flowers and a toran of marigolds,s, and fresh mango tree leaves.
- You can also put a Swastik symbol or Goddess Lakshmi’s feet on the main door, as these signify prosperity and luck.
- You can also put go-padma, lotus, or any other spiritual symbol at both ends.
Vastu Shastra guidelines for main door entrance
- Make sure the house is not at the ground level. Construct a few steps on the house entrance.
- Build the main door using rich quality material. Avoid black color.
- Place a nameplate at the entrance door.
- Design a threshold of stone or wood on the front door. It will prevent the loss of finances.
- Keep the entrance clean and tidy. Avoid dustbins or shoe racks.
Make a rangoli
- Rangolis are synonymous with the festive season and are believed to attract wealth and prosperity. Adorn the floor with rangoli made of rice flour or vibrant colors.
- Rangolis on the floor are believed to invite goddess, Lakshmi. Draw one near the entrance, before conducting a Griha Pravesh puja, using rice flour and rangoli colors available in the market.
- Make sure it is not in the way of people entering the house.
Clean the entire home
- Before conducting the Griha Pravesh pooja, make sure the entire home is cleaned thoroughly to make it look welcoming. This will invite positivity and good energy into your new home.
- The first thing you must buy for the house is a broom, so as to get rid of any mess before the ceremony and start fresh. Mop every corner of your home before starting the puja. Mop the floor with salt water, to cleanse and purify the place.
- You can also wash it with a mixture of salt, lime juice, and white vinegar. A havan (herbs and wood put in fire), is said to purify the space and cleanse the surroundings.
Purify the home
Keep Gangajal in a separate kalash in the unused corner of your home, with raw mango leaves placed above it. Use these leaves to sprinkle the water everywhere. Gangajal is believed to have a purifying energy that removes negative vibes from the home.
Enter the new house with the right foot
On the auspicious day of Griha Pravesh, the husband and wife of the house must enter the house together, carrying the mangal Kalash. Make sure to put the right foot forward when walking into your new home during the Griha Pravesh ceremony. As per the rituals, the man must put his right foot first, and the woman must put her left foot first in the house. They must set up the Kalash in the northeast corner of the temple while chanting the mantras of Lord Ganesha.
Boil milk to seek blessings
Boiling milk in a new utensil is an integral part of the Griha Pravesh rituals. As per the belief, the milk boiling ceremony during the housewarming ceremony ensures prosperity in the house. The lady of the house should boil milk in the kitchen. Usually, ingredients such as rice and sugar are added to prepare a sweet rice prasad, and it is distributed it has been offered to the deities.
Housewarming ceremony: Rules to remember when entering the house
- Usually, the owner and the lady of the house enter the new house first. They must carry the five auspicious items namely a coconut, yellow turmeric, jaggery, rice, and milk.
- While entering the house for the housewarming function, always put your right foot first.
- Dress up in appropriate clothes for the griha pravesh puja. Wear auspicious colors and avoid black.
- If possible, have housewarming parties with only near and dear ones, as inviting too many people may bring in negative energy, which might hamper the well-being of the residents.
- Everyone who attends the griha pravesh puja must be given some gift; nobody should leave the house empty-handed. It can be anything from a small silver coin, an idol of a god, boxes of sweets, or fresh live plants, depending on one’s budget
- A Griha Pravesh puja is not complete unless Vastu puja is performed, the roof of the house is covered and the doors are fitted with shutters. Also, the priests should be offered the feast.
- One should perform the havan for new the home with the objective of inviting peace and prosperity. It should be accompanied by Ganesh puja for the new home, Vastu Dosh puja, and Navgraha Shanti pooja to eliminate negative energies and attract positive energies.
Can you do Griha Pravesh pooja without muhurta?
Although people prefer to do the Griha Pravesh only at an auspicious muhurta, if you do not believe in such things, it is okay to proceed with a simple Griha Pravesh puja without muhurta per your availability and schedule. However, make sure you conduct a Griha Shanti path, which is to attract positive energy at home and remove negativity and evil energies from the surroundings. You can also choose to do charity after the puja and donate money and food to the needy. Later, you can celebrate the occasion with your near and dear ones to mark the joyous occasion.
What brings good luck to a new home?
Items such as salt, honey, rice, candles, etc., represent abundance, prosperity, happiness, hospitality, and good fortune.
Why is Vastu Shanti Puja done?
Vastu Shanti Puja is done to seek the blessings of Vastu Purush, the God of land and direction, who is said to remove prevailing Vastu doshas of the house.
Why is Navagraha Shanti puja done during the Griha Pravesh?
Navagraha means nine planets. It is believed that all nine planets influence the house. So, this puja is performed to please all nine planets and seek blessings.
Can we do Griha Pravesh puja after shifting?
Griha Pravesh puja or Vastu puja should be done before shifting, to cleanse the space of negative energies.
Why do we boil milk during a housewarming?
The boiling of milk symbolizes the abundance of prosperity and food, which will bless the new home.
If you are Looking for the best Hindu priest in the UK for your Housewarming puja then call to best Hindu priest in the Uk Ketul Joshi Maharaj at +44 079 0373 5365.